Friday, August 1, 2008

Just a housewife

We sang a song in one of our dinner theater performances in high school that was called "just a housewife". I really liked the song, I think it's from the musical "Working". It's actually pretty sad, but also a commentary on how many people, (at times myself included) view the task of motherhood. I used to say I'm a mom, and I work at a Forensic Toxicology Lab, and I sell children's books and I make my own greeting cards to sell. Boy, doesn't that sound impressive? I thought so too. But then I quit every job except being a mom. Now how impressive does that sound? Not very, right? There is so much pressure to do more than just be home with your children- because everyone is doing everything, right? WRONG!. I have found that you can't do everything, something has to give. Whether it's your patience, discipline, peace, happiness or quality of life, something is sacrificed when you try to do it all. I know that there are those who literally have no choice in the matter, death, divorce, injury at times there is no other option. But I am grateful that I had the opportunity to learn, that for me, being a mom is all I really want to be right now. Don't get me wrong, I still have my hobbies and pursuits and I do try to make a little money on the side if I can. But the main goal of my life right now is to teach, train, play with and love these little souls I have been blessed with.

Having said that- I HATE LAUNDRY, AND TOILETS AND DISHES. I feel better now. The endless monotony of housework is for the birds. Why can't we all sing like the princess on Enchanted and have birds and animals come and do the work for us? I just have to get that out there so I can face a day of toilets and floors and dishes and walls because, well, my house gets messy and the sad fact of the matter is that often I just don't care. And then my socks get pulled off my feet walking through the sticky kitchen floor- and I just can't ignore it any longer (not literally, Mom!). So here I go, to do what will be undone in a matter of minutes after I have spent hours working. Three toilets, many walls, two levels, one kitchen, some laundry and mopping. YUCK!

No comments: