
I was reading in the Ensign this month and there was an article by Elder Hales about modesty in dress. One of his main concerns is that we as a people are becoming too casual in our dress, both in everyday life as well as what we choose to wear to church. Dress is a specific concern for me because H. has some very definite ideas about what looks good. for example the other day she came to me with her shirt pulled down off her shoulder, she asked me if I liked it that way because she thought it looked "hot". I thought I had misunderstood her because it's summer and I was hoping she meant that she was hot and wearing her shirt that way was cooler, but when I asked to clarify what she meant, No, she meant she thought she looked "hot" that way. BTW, H. is only 6! Needless to say modesty in dress is something we are going to have to push in our house.
Going back to the article, as I was reading it I felt like this was something our family really needed to work on. Strangely enough, J. is the least offending member of our family when it comes to dressing too casually. I on the other hand fail to even get dressed most days. We had an F.H.E. on the subject last night. I wrapped one package of cookies in nice paper and another in wrinkled up newspaper. I asked the kids which one they would rather have and of course they wanted the nice one. We then talked about what we wear and how it reflects on who we are. Then we talked about what we wear to church. I admit that at times I have been a little more casual than I should in going to church, so we are all going to try harder to dress nicer for that sacred occasion. We then unwrapped the cookies and talked for just a second on the fact that even the newspaper wrapped gift still held something valuable and that we shouldn't judge others by what they wear, they are all still children of God. Then we ate the cookies.
I am writing this down to confirm my commitment that I will strive to be a better example of modest dress to my children- not by changing the style of my clothes which are not questionable- but by being more diligent in presenting myself in a manner that shows I respect the gift of my body. By actually getting dressed, brushing my hair and maybe even (hold on J. this could be shocking) putting on make-up on a regular basis. And by taking Sunday meetings more seriously and showing that in my dress and in the dress of my children. Writing it down will hold me more accountable I hope.

No comments:
Post a Comment