Saturday, August 7, 2010

On having an older sister

My sister recently had a mid-week Relief Society meeting where she needed to bring something that represented who she was. She kind of struggled with what she should take. I have been thinking about her and my relationship with her ever since. Growing up we fought. Her for freedom and individuality, and me to be just like her. We were only 18 months apart so we really had a lot in common. Common friends, common interests, common clothes. But it was not easy for her. I wanted to do what she did, be where she was. And she did not. So we fought. She yelled, I cried. But even when she was really mean to me, I still wanted to be just like her. (not mean though) I still want to be just like her. So when she asked me what she should take, I thought of dozens of things that she is/does that I am still trying to be/do. She has a terrific sense of style. She loves beautiful things and she tries new things all the time. She pushes her boundaries- rearranging furniture, painting redecorating. She never just settles- she searches and searches until she hits upon just the right thing. She has an amazing creativity about her. I love her style of art and composition- from her drawings to her jewelry to the little projects she tries and discards. She is fearless. I love the love she has for her family. And while I love my husband (a lot) it is in a different way. She is a good, kind, loving friend. She is righteous. And she can name practically any actor and any movie from the last three (nearly) decades. How lucky I am to have someone to look up to, someone who for the past 34 years has shown me the way and pushed me to become more than I could have ever been without her. So my dear, sweet sister. Be Happy. Because you are enough- YOU ARE AMAZING!

1 comment:

Karen said...

way to make me cry just before going walking!

Thanks. I love you too.