Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Day McDonald's became a luxury we couldn't afford

It's been coming for some time now. We have seen our income drop, drop, drop until now we make 1/3 less than we used to. Same long days just much less moola. We have cut our budget until we just can't cut anymore. Ouch! Each year we live to get our taxes done. Unlike a lot of people, we are pretty much guaranteed a refund because J. has so much deducted from our paychecks and we pay an obscene amount of interest on our house. This year was no exception- and for our house tax day was yesterday. Can you say ka-ching? Love it. But, it's different now. The last two years have beat us down, wrung us out and stretched us thin- and we've changed. I didn't realize it until last night. With dollar signs dancing in my head I dreamed all evening about the things we have put off that we might be able to do now. New sheets for the bed, new clothes for the kiddos, maybe some new things for me. Fun, Fun, Fun! Then all those dreams were dashed by my loving husband. "What do you think we should do with the money?" I asked him. "Pay down the credit cards." He replied. "With all of it?!" "With most of it." (imagine with me the cartoon sound effect of a balloon being deflated pbbbbbtttt!) Bummer. We argued. I think we should keep the money, use it to pay the bills each month, take care of the things that come up. Have some freedom from the tight fisted life we have been living the last year or so. It took me a while to realize that is just what J. is afraid of. Afraid that all the changes we have fought so hard to make, all the times we have sacrificed to make ends meet will go down the drain. And I understand it now. As I went to bed last night I thought back on all the lessons we have learned over the past two years:
God Loves Us.
He is aware of us.
He knows and fills our needs.
This life is preparatory to our Eternal Glory, lessons learned are necessary to enable us to wield omnipotent power wisely and for the benefit of our posterity in the life to come.
Faith.
Service doesn't have to cost money. (just to name a few)
And I wouldn't trade any of them, not even for a million dollars. So last night I confessed to my Heavenly Father that more than any worldly favor or blessing, I want my family to be together forever and if that means eating top ramen and Bisquick, I Will Do It. I get what King Lamoni said to Ammon when he said he would give up all of his sins to know God. I understand Nephi saying he would go and do whatever God wanted him to do because he trusted it would be for his benefit and understanding and that God would help him. It doesn't mean it's easy. The Savior was lonely, tired, sad, hated even. But every time I begin to succomb to fear, frustration and temptation- peace comes in.
So, goodbye McDonald's my old friend. We can't afford you right now. And that's ok.

No comments: