The Big Rock sits yards away from our cabin in the Uintah mountains. During my lifetime it has been a spaceship (G-force anyone?), a home, a mountain and a refuge. Last weekend we went up there and I watched it become the same things for my own children. It has endured years of use, snow, rain, wind and hail. And still it remains.I was asked to come meet with the Primary Presidency yesterday to go over final plans for the program. The sweet President shared a spiritual thought that I just loved. She read a few scriptures from Alma which describe Moroni's preparations for the battle that lay ahead and said that she felt impressed that we were chosen to be like Moroni, preparing these young children for the battle that lay ahead.
As I thought about my own cherished ones and my desires for them, it is exactly the same thing. To build for them a fortress of testimony, strongholds of knowledge, all upon a rock of faith that will be unshakable in the times ahead. I thought of this picture I had taken last week, of the familiar rock, and the generations it has served.
The rock of our Savior is already in place. It is our duty to lead our children to it. It is our duty to build upon it a refuge from the world, with the armor of the scriptures, the cover of love and the sweet warmth of gospel living. Of all the things I might provide for my children, games, toys, books, even clothes, the most important thing I can give them is this sure foundation and solid place of safety in the gospel- within the walls of my own home.

2 comments:
I love this post. That's why my family has chosen Helaman 5:12 as our family scripture.
Beautiful!!!!You read my heart!
Post a Comment