Friday, August 14, 2009

Surviving

We had tears this morning, L. and I. Tears that I am sure are due in large part to our "experiment" of abstinence from computer and console games. They started when I announced that there was only enough cereal for C.'s mini bowl, and not for anyone else. I thought it would be a wonderful treat to get to have pancakes for breakfast, but I thought wrong! We have not been to the grocery store, trying to stretch every dollar as far as we possibly can, and therefore are running low on pretty much everything (peanut butter, diapers). And one unfortunate casualty is the cereal- a staple in our house- and apparantly EVERYONE'S favorite breakfast food since H. even declared she wanted something "cold" for breakfast. So much for being June Cleaver and cooking a hot breakfast- I guess I can stop worrying about whether I should get up and make fancy breakfasts every morning.
On a much better note- aside from the melt down this morning- the week has gone fairly well. The kids got into the dress-ups and decided to experiment with some looks for halloween. It has been so nice to see them playing together and finding things to do.










But now that the week is drawing to a close I am hearing "how many more days until Monday? Can I play the computer on Monday? I get to play it first!!! " I'm not sure how I am going to balance allowing them to learn things through games and maintaining my sanity with limits on when I can be asked and when I cannot.


So, on the one hand we have children we are trying to wean from electronic stimulation, while on the other hand I am dutifully addicting my youngest to Elmo. She loves him and it is so cute to watch her glued to that furry little red guy.

1 comment:

Karen said...

How about starting the majorly limited electronics time right off the bat... Just had an idea - what if they each had some sort of jar with some pebbles (or something) and each one is worth 5 minutes of play time & they only get a set number of pebbles each week with the possibility of earning a few more...

just a thought.