Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Errand of Angels

I love the writings of Robert Fulghum. He's the author behind "All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten". He is funny, witty and insightful. One of his essays discusses the game "Hide and Seek." He talks about how there is always that one kid who hides too well and pretty soon everyone gives up and goes home and he finally comes out and gets mad that no one found him. Then he relates it to a man he knew who had a terminal illness that he kept from his family. At his funeral people spoke of his courage and strength, but privately his family told the author (who is also a pastor) that they were hurt and saddened that he hadn't allowed them to participate with him. He didn't let them help him and they didn't get to say goodbye.

I have thought about this story many times in my life. Am I hiding too well? (I think if you read this blog you will see that I really don't hide very much at all ;) ) I know we like to be strong, we like to take care of things ourselves, that is our nature. But this life is not meant to be lived alone, we were sent to families- to birth families, to ward families, to neighborhood families. We are told to care for, help and strengthen those around us.

There will be times in our lives when we need to be found, and there are times in life when we need to seek out those who need us. Neither position is easy. It is difficult to humble ourselves and ask for help. It is hard to accept it. We want to be self-sufficient, we want to be independent. But there are times it is beyond our control. How grateful I am for leaders and friends and family who see my needs and reach out. Who showed up at my door when I was frightened and gave me a safe place to confide my struggles. Who offered food and reassurance when we weren't sure we could make it one more month.

And I am also grateful for women who open their homes and allow me to come in and offer of myself to them. Who give me opportunities to learn and grow and follow their example of grace and humility as they accept the help they need with love and gratitude.

How very grateful I am for a loving Heavenly Father, who gives me opportunities to see my own weakness and through the atonement of my savior Jesus Christ, I can learn and grow and try every day to be better.

No comments: