Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Counting my blessings

L.L. Bean in her blessing dress. She barely fit! She looked darling and behaved very well. Uncle J. said that she was looking up and smiling the entire blessing. And the blessing worked, because she has slept through the night every evening since!
These are my other blessings. What a tremendous responsibility it is to parent. H. hates it when I divulge all her misdeeds for my own amusement, so to spare her I will NOT tell you that for two days in a row we have had friend trouble (getting on the bus with a friend without her mother's knowledge/permission- the day AFTER the SAME friend came over without said permission and started to walk home (did I mention she normally rides the bus?) without MY permission) What a mess. How do you know what the appropriate response is. Is grounding for the rest of your life over the top? Do you keep them home forever- home schooling looks really appealing right about now. How do you make them understand the ramifications that the desire for friends can have? All of the sudden the answers are a lot more complicated and I guess you just do the best you can- and pray- A LOT.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I agree. How do you give them enough confidence to make good choices even when they may lose a friend over it? That choosing the right is more important than friends... Sorry sweetie. It doesn't get easier.

Linds said...

I guess I'll stop wishing my kids were older. How complicated...